Thursday, April 21, 2011

When the dust settles

Mh3 has been sick for the past 5 days. This has made my week a whole lot of hectic, but lucky for me, her Big Poppa (my dad) stepped it up and has been helping out. I ended up taking her to the doctor today (even though I "knew" it was a virus, that couldn't be treated) because my Dad said, "Honey, you don't want to make the same mistake I did." Let me explain this comment to you, because this is one of the cases of child abuse that I was subjected to as a kid. When I was in 8th grade, I came down with an illness that forced me to a bed. The sickness not only forced me to bed (for 7 straight days) but it forced me to my Dad's bed (with him it). This is because, I was too sick to be left alone. My Dad wanted me to tough it out, sleep it off, shake it off, rub dirt on it, and whatever else, but basically he was waiting it out. Obviously I survived the illness, but the funny part about it is that I must have had a raging fever (that was going unchecked) but at some point I rolled over and faced my Dad (laying next to me, watching TV) and looked him in the eye and said one word (with a straight face). That word would be, "Evil". I then rolled over and went right back to sleep. Thank goodness it was my dad and not my Grandma. She might have ran out of the house and gotten a priest or something. I have no memory of this, but it still freaks me out to think about it. And, it must have freaked him out or he would not have convinced me to take my baby to the Dr.

Back to the title of my post. I am sitting by myself for the first time today. I have been awake for the past 14.5 hours and I have had a child by my side the entire time (except for the car ride to and from work, that of which I was on the phone probably talking about the sick baby). After the kids are in bed and when the dust settles I begin to realize how quickly my day goes and how crazy my days are. Children are tough to care for. I left the doctor's office thinking, "They should be prescribing valium for mommy as they are writing the script for amoxicillin for baby." But I survived the day, and look forward to a new one.

And, some of you saw my Facebook post yesterday and read that mh2 prayed for God to, "Give Daddy good muscles." I am not kidding, today, mh1 prayed for God to "Give Daddy strong muscles." HELLO RANDOM KIDS!!!??? Daddy's muscles are getting all the prayers...If we are going that random, can't you pray for mommy to get perky breasts or a house keeper?

1 comment:

  1. I had the opposite problem as a child, I was at the doctor at least once a month. And when I was sick my feet were not allowed to touch the floor until I laid there in sweat soaked blankets for at least 2 days. I think my mom used my colds as an excuse to hold me hostage on the couch.

    ReplyDelete