Thursday, January 13, 2011

Oatmeal is the enemy

Oatmeal is every dieter's worse nightmare. I felt the need to bash oatmeal after two different conversations with two different friends about their diet (or attempt to eat a healthier diet). Both of these friends were eating oatmeal as their lunch. I have a serious problem with this (Sorry, Laura, I know you are reading). Oatmeal has a decent amount of fiber and protein but instant oatmeal is also full of carbs and sugar. The other problem I have with oatmeal is that it leaves you hungry within an hour or two of eating it, then you are consuming more calories again. The point to all of this is that the food you eat should be enjoyable and satisfying. I do occasionally eat oatmeal, but mixed in with it is protein powder, and a spoonful of peanut butter. I also don't cook it and mix it with a few tablespoons of milk. **props go to this website (http://fitnessista.com/2008/11/something-worth-waking-up-for/) for the idea This kind of oatmeal reminds me a no bake cookie and I love eating them.

Onto less interesting subject matters...I start class again next week. I am working on a 2nd Master's Degree in Learning and Behavior Disorders. I am pumped to be back in class because I took the summer and fall semester off to spend time with mh3. I look forward to going to class and being with people that get what I do everyday. Most of my classmates are teachers, like me, and a lot of them also have families. They can relate to my career better than anyone can because they are doing the same thing that I am. I really enjoy learning new things. I only have about 3 classes left for this degree but I will probably continue to go to school. I am not sure what I will study next, but I plan on being a life-long learner. Your girl is a nerd.

I understand this has been a minimally entertaining post, so let me leave you with this:
One weird thing about me that you probably didn't know....anytime I have taken a test in a classroom setting, I MUST be the first person finished. If I am not finished before the rest of the class, I feel like I did not perform well on the exam. I can remember doing this as far back as elementary school. Competitive much?

2 comments:

  1. The way you write this blog, I thought you had at least a PHD. I am happy to see you are going for your 2nd Masters in learning and behavior disorders. I should hook you up with my family blog-writing-girl. They have severe problems in learning and behavior. They never learn from their bad behavior. Maybe you could help them, or do a paper or study on them. You would probably get a Nobel Prize for it. They are really crazy. All of them. All of them except one- the good son. He is ok. The rest of them, not so good. Also, with all of that protein powder and peanut butter, are you some kind of Amazon? The mythical tribe not the website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like instant oatmeal and the oatmeal at MacDonalds is pretty good too. I thought i was being healthy....

    ReplyDelete