Sunday, March 31, 2013

Sushi

I have realized that sushi is really cool and it makes people think they are cool.  To me (the fat girl that I am) sushi is food.  Food that I love.  Food that I ate when I was pregnant because I valued it more than the brain of my unborn child.  I've been eating sushi since before sushi was hip so, I feel like I am an expert on all things sushi and I want to enlighten you. (I'm really not at all, but I do like it a lot)

First off, those of you that are like, "Ew, I don't want to eat raw fish."  This is what you are imagining when I say sushi:
Source

It is nothing like that.  A lot of people eat cooked fish inside their little rolls of rice heaven.  I like it all types of ways.  This is an example of what we ate last night:

california roll, spider roll, cha cha roll

diablo roll, 502 roll, orange salmon roll)

My dad, my step sister (Hey Carlie!) and I went to Sake Blue (more on my favorite restaurants in a bit).  We started with this:
Which used to be this:
Source

We also had their house salad (which is basically just really expensive ice berg lettuce drenched in a dressing made of ginger).  My dad is a fat boy and asked my step sister to order a salad even though she didn't want one so that he could eat hers and not have to order two.  I also ordered a side of fried rice.  

The point is, eating sushi can be an experience (one of the best dates I ever went on was to eat sushi, good date but dude had some major road rage and we didn't go out again) so go for it.

Be courageous.  Order something you have never had.  I tease my trainer (Hey Joe!) because he talks of his love for sushi but only orders the california roll.  Don't get me wrong, I share a california roll everytime I go, but it's strictly because my first experience eating sushi was a california roll.  I was like 12 and my Dad and his girlfriend took me to Shogun (more about restaurants later) and it was so much fun and I loved it.  I eat a california roll because it makes me happy to remember that day.  

Try using chopsticks.  Don't use them because you are a pretentious butt hole, use them because they are fun.  Carlie rocked it out last night.  **Hold the bottom one like you hold your pencil, the top one does the moving, practice makes perfect.  If you can't use chopsticks, at least use a fork.  If you use your fingers you are embarrassing yourself.  If you use a fork, please for the love of all things sushi, do not cut it in half.  The Ex is a sissy baby nancy pants and can't fit a bite in his mouth so he cuts it in half.  He fails to realize this is an insult to the chef and he doesn't get the full flavor because it's split in half.

Best sushi in Louisville:

Osaka:  Very small place (they are on restaurant.com if you are interested in a cheap deal).  Nice atmosphere, they have a roll that they set on fire.  I can't remember the name but it's really good, ask for it.

Mikato:  They used to have $2 rolls on certain days of the week.  They don't do that anymore, but the restaurant has cool fountains in it and every once in a while a bird flies around.  Plus, sometimes your waiter doesn't know English.  That's always uncomfortable and funny at the same time.

Sapporo:  My very favorite!  Must order the Mango Crunch Roll.  It will make you want to slap your grandmammy in the face.  And be really cool and order a Sapporo beer while your there.  Bonus, if you eat at the sushi bar, you get a free cucumber salad.  The only thing that sucks about this restaurant are the other people eating there.  It's very trendy, with loud annoying techno music playing, and overly crowded dressed up weirdos sitting everywhere.  They're all like, "We're so cool because we eat sushi in our stilletos." And, I'm all like, "I'm here in my sweat pants, just give me some food."  Call ahead and make reservations so that you don't have to wait forever

Shogun:  SUCKS!!!!  Never eat there.  It's cheap but it's foul.  Trust me

Bendoya: On 5th St. downtown- only open for lunch.  It's very small and you can see the chef from any seat in the restaurant.  Very fresh

Sake Blue:  The Ex's favorite.  He loves the 502 roll.  I like it there but if it was up to me we would go to Sapporro every time.

Fuji:  Only go here if you are desperate for sushi, you live on Dixie Hwy, and  you don't feel like driving to the East End.  The food is just ok.

Hit me up if you ever want a sushi date- I'm your huckleberry. 









4 comments:

  1. You know Im jealous! :) yum! Try the Sake Blue roll for a good flaming experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know Im jealous! :) yum! Try the Sake Blue roll for a good flaming experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know Im jealous! :) yum! Try the Sake Blue roll for a good flaming experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete