Thursday, January 3, 2013

Under Pressure

FIRST:  You MUST  Play this song in the background while you are reading (it will really set the mood)

I was chit chatting with some other moms (shout out to Jamie, Tracy, Crystal, Michelle, Dara!) on Facebook, that are as crazy as I am (and willing to admit it).  They were telling me that they enjoy reading this blog.  People say it's funny, but I don't think that's why they like to read.  I think it's because I put all of my inadequacies, as a mother and wife, on a public forum.  I make them feel better about themselves because I obviously have a few screws loose and it makes them realize there are other wackos like themselves out there.  See, they go to Pinterest and they start feeling all bad about themselves because they can't put Big Bird on cupcakes, keep their spices organized, or build a shoe rack out of used tires (I have no idea if that's possible but it seems like on Pinterest ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE).  Or these ladies (just like me) see other women on Facebook all happy and kissing their kids and playing patty cake and going to the zoo while making an all organic dinner from the fresh vegetables that they picked from the Farmer's Market themselves.   The problem with Pinterest and those other moms is that  it is UNREALISTIC.  I am serious when I say, my kids are lucky to be bathed, fed, and talked to all in one day.  Keeping up with a household is STRESSFUL and can make you feel inadequate.  This is especially true when you are keeping up a household WHILE working and/or going to school.  I was texting with a friend last night and asked if she wanted to get together anytime soon.  She said something like; "Between work, basketball practice, the new house, and school, I just don't think I'll have time".  I totally understand because I live that same life.  We all do.  My other friend (Hey Nikki!) has been trying to meet up with me for months and I had to cancel on her twice this week!  She said something like, "Life happens".  She is so right!

Thinking about all this made me think about the different pressures us girls are under at different points in our lives.  I don't know if this is the same for you, but this is how it went for me:

Birth to 8 years old:  Don't think there is much

8yrs to 11yrs:  A slight understanding of the world begins here.  The pressure to keep up when your little naive heart doesn't really know what's going on around them but knows that there is something.  For instance, I heard my mom having sex when I was in 3rd grade and I couldn't stop thinking about it the whole next day.  I wasn't sure what happened, but I thought I knew what happened and it was confusing.

11-13yrs:  AWKWARD!  I had no boobs, a chunky baby fat belly, stringy hair, and crooked teeth.  The pressure was to be cool but I had no idea how.  I wanted to play with dolls AND talk to my friends on the phone about boys.

13-18yrs: The pressure is like this:  Does he  like me? Does he think I am pretty?  Why doesn't he call me back? I hate my ears.  What if I don't make the team?  What if I don't pass my driver's test?  I hate her.  She hates me.  He hates me.  I hate him.  The only person that understands me is him.  He'll never understand me!  I'll never love anyone the way that I love him!  I can't wait to marry him!  I never want to talk to him again!  (you get it- you remember?!)

18-24yrs:  These were the simplest years of my life.  I must say the most "pressure free" (my only pressure was to study).  I was in college, I was confident in myself but I still had my dad to run to at any moment.  I had freedom from responsibility but I still felt like a "grown up".  This was my physical prime, yet I sadly didn't know it then.

24-30yrs:  Pressure to figure out these people we call our babies

30-40:  Pressure to keep up with other women!  I refuse.  Sometimes I feel it (like when I'm on Pinterest or reading about someone's phony Facebook life), but most times I just acknowledge that there are other mothers that are doing better than me (like keeping clothes ironed and teaching their kids Chinese) but I am doing the best that I can (most of the time) and just have to keep it movin'.  Sometimes I just suck at life, but most of the time, I really try.

Whenever you are down for a Pinterest Revolution let me know.  Instead of homemade hand decorated wreaths for your front door, we'll post instructions on how to properly whoop your child's @ss, or how to pound a 40 like the professionals we all once were.

Love to all you crazos out there like me!

8 comments:

  1. Thats fabulous and for the record I only go to the humor section on pintrest:) I could 2 shits about crafts or recipes:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Idk why that says anonymous?? Haha Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no children, so I guess my pressure is pretty low in comparison, but I would have to agree with the fakeness on Facebook...keep it real. P.S. I listened to the song while reading...nice effect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your awesome!!! that just made my day!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES YES YES!!! 100% yes. i don't think my son has had a bath in a week. i can barely think straight by dinner time- he is lucky i feed him haha :):) :) :) you make me laugh all the time! and, yes, it is because you make me feel normal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love u Conni!! Too funny!

    ReplyDelete