Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Concerts

For some reason I was thinking about the concerts that I have been to in my life.  I thought you all would care who is in my top 10.


#10  Janet Jackson.  I don't really like her music but the show was really good.  Tracy, Chrissy, and I went in 2001 and saw her at Rupp Arena.
#9  Milli Vanilli (I need not explain that one)
#8  Garth Brooks circa 1997.  I'm not a Country Music fan but that was a lot of fun.  Me, Dawn, Susan, and Gene saw him at Freedom Hall
#7  Eminem and Ludacris.  I  think in Indianapolis.  Went with Kisha, The Ex, and Erica.   Good show but we did too much drinking
#6  The Villebillies in Daytona, FL.  I was recently engaged to The Ex and went with my buddy Steve (who has now passed), The Ex, Jen and Kisha.  Best part of the trip was when Steve popped some bottles to celebrate our engagement.  It was fun traveling to Florida to watch a local band.  I'm glad I have those memories with an old friend that's no longer with us.
#5  Smashing Pumpkins with my Dad in '95.  I was young enough to find it awesome when Billy Corgan cussed the audience out for throwing things on stage.  I spent the entire show watching the bass player and wanting to be as cool as her.
#4  Michael Jackson in the early 80s it was my first real concert.  All I remember is his silver glove.  My Dad bought tickets for me and let my mom take me.  I thought he was being nice but now I know he just wanted to avoid seeing MJ.
 #3 The Black Crowes.  Outdoor music festival at Churchill Downs.  Me, The Ex, my Dad, Step mom, and Damian (one of my boys from way back).  Best part of this day was me writing "FU" on my dad's arm with a permanent marker (I couldn't get the rest of the word out before he stopped me, but FU was good enough to embarrass him, so my job was done).  He doesn't cuss...tatooing him with a curse word was the best.  The show rocked (oh yeah and this was at Hullabalou 2010)
Look closely at his shoulder and you might be able to see my FU.  Try not to envy his cool yellow tank.

#2  Big Boi at Forecastle Festival in 2012.  I'm not a huge rap music fan but I love Outkast and this was one of the hypest shows I've ever been to.  It was outdoors, I was with some great people (hey Baby S, Man, Renee, Pedro, Chad and Robin!), and there was a bunch of stinky hippies there.  Everyone was getting along and feelin' it!  I drank PBR for the first time (because that's all they sold).  It was a blast.  Here's some pics I have from that night
Me and The Ex
Me and Baby S
Me Breaking it down for Big Boi (and there's Chad in the background!)

#1  Pearl Jam.  While the shows are nothing but good music (no lights and theatrics) the music is enough.  I saw them in '94 and The Ex surprised me with tix in 2003.  I went with my Dad's girlfriend as a teenager and then it was me and The Ex as an adult.  What's weird is that I felt totally the same at both shows.  My age didn't make me feel any differently to the music.

Some others that didn't make the top 10 but that were shows I've been to, The Police (definitely could have been in the top 10 but I didn't have a place, Jason Aldean (spent the show not in my seats but drinking beer), Kenny Chesney and Sugarland (I really don't like country), Christina Aguilera (with Kisha, lots of fun), Aerosmith, Jewel (two times), Art Alexakis, and some others that I can't think of right now.

Shows I would like to see:
Pearl Jam (again)
I used to want to see Madonna but not so much anymore
Outkast
Grace Potter
Mumford & Sons (I don't love their music but I heard they put on a good show)
No Doubt
Florence + The Machine


1 comment:

  1. Michael Jackson as your first concert is awesome! My first was The Beach Boys.

    ReplyDelete